Wag mo akong ma-Terry Terry!!!

Minsan Lang Kita Iibigin  (Chito Roño, Star Cinema, Moviestars Productions, 1993)

When I was younger, I have probably only ever saw tagalog films was when I was with Mami. "Minsan Lang Kita Iibigin," directed by Chito Rono, was one of them. Who doesn't know Maricel Soriano?? I've seen her mostly in her comedy films when she was younger, and she was always a pleasure to watch, I didn't mind it at all. I don't remember much if this film from when I was younger, but the lines stated in the image are kinda epic in the world of pinoy movies.

So last night I chanced upon this great movie once again after ages of ages of not seeing it, and it was exactly on the confrontation scene (the image above). Recently, Maricel Soriano and Eugene Domingo were guests in GGV promoting their movie, and they reenacted this part. So it was a bit of refresher.

As Maricel was ushered in by the Zsa Zsa's help through the kitchen, I felt tense and I remembered thinking,this is THAT scene! Zsa Zsa babbles on as Maricel continually stares blankly but meaningfully at Zsa Zsa. She feels the awkwardness but decides to ignore it... and then the spiel:

Z: Relasyon?
(Eeeeenk! Wrong answer!)
M: Relasyon, querida, kabit, number 2, mistress, RELASYON!
(Maricel FTW!)
Z: Terry...
(OMG STFU!!!)
M: Wag mo akong ma-Terry, Terry! Iyong tanong ko ang sagutin mo! Are you fucking my husband?!
(In my mind I gave her a rightful standing ovation! And then....)
Z: MINSAN!
(THIS!)

Zsa Zsa's character had me in that last line. Too bad she dies.. or rather was too-graphic-for-audience stabbed by Terry. Man, it was a very sickening feeling how Terry stabbed Zsa Zsa's character. The way she dragged the body then cleaned up the "scene o the crime" and even took a shower, I only made it up to there, I couldn't bare me repulsion. I forgot the ending to this movie, so maybe I'll just have to google it!

I like the old tagalog movies. I seemed liked the actors then were more educated despite technological advancement, maybe because they had lots of time reading? Language-wise, characters in old movies are very eloquent in speaking English! Oh my gush, how I love it when they insult other characters with straight "paka-paka," crisp english! Acting-wise, they're also incomparable to "actors" nowadays. Maricel and Zsa Zsa are only a few of those legendary names that lasted through the years.

I still have high hopes for Philippine Cinema, we are getting there. I hope when my kid is old enough, she'll have films available to her that's done with quality and artistically.

Comments