Brian Williams Suspended


I just knew Brian Williams late last year, I was reading something and his name came up. I looked him up and recognized him. His show gets shown in local channels in my country. Whenever I can I try to watch NBC Nightly News. Apparently he’s been an anchor of the show for 10 years! I think that’s awesome. That 10 years may just have been jeopardized when last week he made false claims about his time covering the War in Iraq. A Flight Engineer called Williams out on his claim saying, “Sorry dude, I don't remember you being on my aircraft.” The anchor apologized in his show, "I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago," he wrote, blaming "the fog of memory over 12 years." Williams said that he’ll be taking leave for a few days, and I just read now that this few days has lengthened into six months as NBC start an investigation. He won’t be paid in those six months but I think that’s the least of his worries.


I’d think I would remember, no matter how bad my memory is, that I was not in a helicopter that got shot down by an enemy because I’d be thankful to God that I wasn’t in there. It’d be like those life altering moments in life when someone experience being close to death. I’m not one of those people that look to him for truth about news that’s happening to my country because I’m not from the US, but I still feel uncomfortable in watching him tell the news after what’s happened. Such blatant disregard for truth, and for what? To brag in some late night show? I think he got too caught up and got a little overwhelmed and so might have exaggerated things but still, he should have known better, being a journalist, telling the truth should be second nature.

But really what do I know? I still would like to watch him on his show, and I hope he gets the people’s trust back and clear his reputation that he built for all those years.

Good luck to you, Brian Williams!


Comments