Barakamon


As a punishment for punching a famous Calligrapher, young handsome Calligrapher Handa Seishu is exiled on a small island. As someone who has never lived outside of a city, Handa has to adapt to his new wacky neighbors, like people traveling on a tractor, unwanted visitors who never use the front door, annoying kids using his home as a playground, etc. Can this city guy handle all the crazy hardships? Find out in this wacky island comedy full of innocence and laughter!!! x



I’m only at episode 4 in this 12-episode series but so far so good! It’s very fun and the characters are loveable! Especially Naru! She’s so adorable.

I love stories that revolve around a community, showcasing the individualities of each character that are part of that community. There’s the crazy neighbors, but also very welcoming and warm. The bratty teenagers that are just full of dreams and exude so much energy, and then there’s this person that no matter what, is the one to cheer you up. I love the little island and I hope in the next episodes, different parts of the islands will be explored. I can imagine the anime was portraying a real place.



Apart from the characters, I love that its topic is about a culture that I am not aware holds so much importance in their country, which I pay no mind to – Calligraphy. From watching the series, I get a little insight on what it’s like for the Japanese, and a sort of immersion in to their culture.



Barakamon makes me want to live in some small island somewhere in Japan too! If what they’ve shown is true, that new comers are given that kind of warm welcome, I would really love to live in a place like that.



Comments