Independence Day of the Philippines

Today is the Independence Day, students must be rejoicing, no class! Woohoo! Well, us adults are also excited for that long weekend (not really, I have masters on Saturday!).

Every time there's an occasion, it has been a habit to check google if its gonna have a google doodle for it. Yes, it has and here it is.

Our colors and our most important symbol, the three stars and the sun, are showcased in a minimal design that is easy in the eyes, there's not a lot of going on because they just gave it a blending white background.

Our country has been through a lot, and is still going through a lot. When I was still in school, my expectation during this holidays were quite simple. In elementary, there would be a flag making contest, a special flag ceremony, a pop quiz about the history of our so-called freedom, glee clubs would be presenting special song and dances that would hit our heartstrings. In highschool, essays about what it means to be free and how to help our country keep its freedom and help in making it a better place. And in college, it's not that big of a deal anymore, not so much class activities centering on Philippine freedom. Pamphlets, handouts, demonstrations, public speeches, professor-student relationship gone whilst marching the hot concrete streets - dramatically my expectations have changed.

It's 12 midnight, what do I expect when I wake up tomorrow? I don't even wanna think about it. I have chores planned since Monday that has to be done today. When I watch the evening news later, I know what to expect.

Mahal kita, Pilipinas. Maligayang araw ng kalayaan sa lahat!

Comments