My history with historical animes

Since my teens, I’ve been hesitant to watch historical animes. I had this crazy notion that if the center of the story is not in Japan, then the Japanese has no business making animes that are set in other countries. I now just realize what a snob I was.

 

When I was younger though, our local TV had aired numerous historical animes, some are book-based.

 

Little Lord Fauntleroy (a.k.a Cedie)

 Shoukoushi Cedie | Anime-Planet

Princess Sarah

 A Little Princess Sara (TV) - Anime News Network

Remi

Sans Famille: The Nobody's Boy: Remi & Remi, Nobody's Girl Wiki ...

These are just to name a few.

I loved them when I was young. It was very entertaining and  fun. Later, I may have felt that I've had my fill of historical animes so I'm passing them all up. Until most recently I have carried that way of thinking. Historical animes have been an instant pass for me.

Last year was the year I started to seriously watch animes. I started watching seasonal animes and binged watch some past animes on the side. In the Summer of 2019, Vinland Saga was released. It looked cool but I was very apprehensive because, yeah it's a historical! But since I was really starting to get serious with anime, I watched it... and you know what? I absolutely loved it. It's actually on the top of my list of animes of 2019. Thorfinn was even my best character! I really adored this anime! 

Vinland Saga (anime) | Vinland Saga Wiki | Fandom

Makes me wonder what else did I miss out on?

Obviously this opened up a slew of titles for me.

There's Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen which I have yet to finish! 😅 
I instantly liked it from the first episode. I got to get a move on since the second season has already aired!

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen

Currently, I am following Arte, which I also adore! I don't know how accurate they are but I don't even care anymore! If I like the characters, the plot and the art... then I'm good fam. Here for it.

Arte

Lesson learned, never be prejudiced against genres... I've always based how I like my books in their plots and the use of language, the same should've applied to my animes but it became wired into me. But so glad I have remedied it... I'm not saying that I'm open now to all kinds of genre. I'm still not down with isekai, though I swear I have tried!


Comments