Philip Seymour Hoffman

I never really knew his name until recently this past years, but I've been seeing him in movies for a quite a long time. He wasn't always on the lead roles but his roles were vital in the movies he were in.

Sorry to be very vague but I don't know the title of the movies where I saw him in, but I could remember thinking, this guy's a great actor! Why doesn't he have a movie that he stars in? I mean, a lead role? Is it because of his looks? His looks were not matinee material, whatever that means. I thought Hollywood didn't care about those sh*t as long as they were great in the art of acting, but apparently its really about the whole package.

Here's a movie that I do know the title of and he's in it. He played Plutarch Heavensbee in The Hunger Games movies. When I first found out he's gonna be in it, it felt great, but also in the back of my head I was thinking, is this movie really for him? I mean, it's so mainstream and he's an award-winning actor for crying out loud! But you know, he played the part and nailed it!

So it is with deep regret that I read on this good Monday morning of his passing. He was found in his New York apartment on February 2 when a friend called the police after failing to contact him. It's widely known that he has been battling against addiction and had checked himself in rehab last year. He was found with a syringe in his arm and in his apartment an envelope containing what is believed to be heroin. He is survived by his long time partner Mimi O'Donell and 3 kids.

Such a waste of great talent. Rest in peace.

Comments